I have kind of a wierd food obsession right now… You know the leaves on the cauliflower head? I’M IN LOVE! Don’t throw them away! They’re so good, you gotta try them. Can’t belive we used to think they were garbage!
And well, while we talk about amazingness and trying things… Why don’t you try making some jackfruit tacos for dinner?
Tacos has been my friend since I was a little kid. I remember what a mess my plate was after trying to hold up the overloaded tortillas. Since I went vegan I’ve been trying to make up new versions of the taco meat that we had. This is the closest I’ve gotten. It tastes so good! Before I’ve tried with different types of beans, lentils… I also look forward to making an tempeh taco meat version for some more protein!
The key to this recipe is jackfruit. If you haven’t tried it you got to buy it! It’s such an good alternative to meat! The texture is amazing and the flavor is mild. The only thing that I don’t like about it is that sometimes some brands have sour flavor that keeps pushing trough my marinades…
Anyways, this jackfruit meat isn’t just amazing in tacos… I love it in;
So, leftovers isn’t a problem. Today I was digging in to my leftover jackfruit taco bowl. My brother was like “When you make leftovers not look like leftovers.” And well, with this recipe you’ll wish there where leftovers!
If you want to make this but wonder where to find jackfruit, I buy mine canned in a vegan shop and resturant in Stockholm but I know you can find it on amazon too. If you’re lucky, maybe you can find it in your local grocery shop?
Now I can’t Think of anything more to say, so why don’t we jump into the recipe? If you love tacos as much as me & my family do, you’re totally going to LOVE this!
300g canned jackfruit (Sharp, hard ends cut of)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp almond butter blended with a bit of water so that it’s pourable
2 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp chili powder (Start with less if you don’t like spice, or ad more if you’re a spicy person like me)
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1-2 cloves of garlic depending on size
Salt to taste
1 tsp coconut sugar, maple syrup or brown sugar
1. Mash the jackfruit with a masher or a big fork so that it’s stringy (looks like pulled pork.)
2. Put the jackfruit in a pan and cover with water. Cook under s lid for about 15-20 minutes so that the sour flavor comes of. Then remove the water.
- Heat a bit of oil or water in the pan and add in soy sauce, coconut sugar, garlic, tomato paste and spices with the jackfruit. Cook for about 2-5 minutes.
- Add the almond butter and continue to Cook for about 2-5 more minutes.
- Put the jackfruit in a container and let marinate in the refridgerator for about 1-2 days before serving (reheated on the pan with a bit of water or oil.)*
*This step actually is really importent. When I first tasted it when I made it the first time I was like – “Oh. This didn’t go so well. I guess I put more salad than ‘meat’ in my taco this time…”. BUT. The leftovers! They where AMAZING! So. Key is marinating. Ok? Good.
Hope you enjoy your taco night!
(And you taco night leftovers…)